Financial Aid FAQ

Financial Aid FAQ

  1. What are the requirements to apply?
    You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. You must also apply for admission to a certificate or degree program.
  2. How do I apply for aid?
    We suggest you apply for financial aid or academic scholarships as soon as you have VU among your final college choices. You do this by applying for admission and submitting the free FAFSA application. Incoming freshmen who apply for financial assistance using the FAFSA will be notified of their eligibility in April before the freshman year or as soon as their FAFSA processing is complete, which may involve verification. Vincennes University academic scholarships are announced after March 1.
  3. What is the FAFSA and where do I go to get it?
    FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  It is your application for federal and state financial aid.  Residents of Indiana need to complete it before April 15th.  Not meeting that deadline means you can't get a state grant for that year even if you would qualify financially. 
  4. Is there a FAFSA checklist that would help me avoid common filing errors?
    Yes. Follow the link to view and print a Financial Aid Checklist that contains important FAFSA information.
  5. What is Vincennes University's Federal School Code?
    It is 001843.
  6. I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?
    Yes. Many families assume they don't qualify for aid but actually do. There is no good excuse for not applying.
  7. Is there an online student guide that can help me calculate my financial aid and understand more about the process?
    Yes. Check out VU’s Net Price Calculator which will guide you through the calculation process. If you want to learn more about financial aid and loans in general, you can go to and explore the options available as a student or as a parent.
  8. Does my application to VU have to be accepted before I can apply for financial aid?
    No. You can apply for financial aid any time after October 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the university.
  9. What if my circumstances have changed since filing the FAFSA?
    The financial aid award you have received is based on the information you reported on your FAFSA. If your financial situation has changed since you filed the FAFSA, you may qualify for a revision. Student financial services recognizes that there will be occasions when a student's/family's financial status has been reduced due to an event that occurs after the FAFSA is filed. To fairly and consistently review these situations, student financial services has adopted specific guidelines to review special conditions. You may request a review of your eligibility by following the instructions contained in the appropriate year's Special Circumstances Request form, which is available on our Web site and at student financial services office after July 1 each year. All special condition appeals must be submitted in writing and are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. 

  10. What is MyVU and how will it help me?
    MyVU is a secured-access Web portal that VU has licensed to centralize information about campus activities and provide access to Web-based services. We consider students who have been accepted to VU as part of our family. If you have already applied and been accepted through the Admissions Office, you have a MyVU ID and can log in. For more financial aid information, after you log in, scroll down the My Access column to find the Financial Aid Status link.

  11. Can I receive federal financial aid if I repeat a course?
    You are aid-eligible for one repeat of an already passed course. Suppose you get a D in a course but need a C for it to count toward graduation. You get one more try with aid. After that, we can’t count those credits in your credit load for federal financial aid purposes.  

  12. What happens if I withdraw from all my courses?
    If you withdraw from all classes, you must officially drop through the Dean of Students office. Do not just stop going to class. Whether you officially or unofficially withdraw out of all your classes, we have to recalculate your eligibility for the aid you have received. Depending on when you withdraw, we may have to return some of your aid to the Department of Education (DOE). You will probably owe VU as well for a portion of the aid returned.


Asset Publisher