TASC and G.E.D. Information - Testing Center
HiSET (Indiana G.E.D.) Information
HiSET (Indiana G.E.D.) Information
Effective January 1, 2014, the State of Indiana no longer administers the G.E.D. test
As of 2021 the new HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY TEST is called HiSET.
By now you should have been studying for the test. If you haven't, you should! The test is not easy, and if you're not properly prepared, the State of Indiana will limit the number of retest attempts per year, in the event you don't pass on your first attempt.
To help you properly prepare for the exam, you should contact the Adult Basic Education office in your area so that you can take some of the classes to help you get ready. The ABE offices also have a practice test available to you. It's only about half as long as the official exam, and it doesn't cost anything to take. It's a great way to make sure you're ready!
The services that your ABE office provides don't cost anything, however, you must enroll in their program to take advantage of those services. But that's a simple process of calling the appropriate office and talking to one of the ABE counselors. They'll be glad to help you start studying and preparing to take the HiSET.
Adult Basic Education Agencies (ABE) and test Preparation Agencies
- IWD Lawrence Co. 812-279-4400
- N. Lawrence Comm. School Corp. 812-279-3561
- North Knox School Corp. 812-735-4434
- IWD Dubois Co. 812-634-1997
- IWD Martin Co. 812-295-2722
Ged on TV
- Muncie - 317-747-5213
- ABE 812-386-7983
- IMPACT Gibson Co. 812-386-1142
- IWD Gibson Co. 812-386-7983
- New Frontiers 812-386-1142
- Princeton High Sch. 812-385-2591
- IMPACT Sullivan Co. 812-268-6326
- IWD Sullivan Co. 812-268-3358
- Sullivan High Sch. 812-268-6301
- ABE Sullivan Co. 812-898-2230
- ABE classes 812-888-4119
- ABE office 812-888-4263
- Four Rivers IMPACT Services 812-886-1865
- IMPACT Knox County 812-882-3920
- IWD Knox County 812-882-1000
- Saul Murillo Scholarship 812-888-4510
- SW Indiana Regional Youth Village 812-886-3000
- Four Rivers Resource Services 812-254-4471
- IMPACT Daviess County 812-254-9839
- IWD Daviess County 812-254-7734
- HiSET testing fee is $100.00
- Retests are $20.00 for each subtest needed
- You must appear in person at our office to register to take the HiSET
You may register only between the hours of 9:00am and 2:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Read the following information carefully and completely.
- Important!: "No shows" for the test will forfeit their test fee. If there is a problem in making your TEST appointment time, you MUST call IN ADVANCE of your test day, or risk losing your test fee.
- Eligibility: All Examinees must have resided in Indiana for at least 30 days immediately prior to testing.
- 16/17 years of age MUST supply: 1.) An Indiana Exit Interview Form signed by a the Public School Superintendent (not a school administrator, principal, secretary or designee) in your area, authorizing the 16/17 year old student to take the official HiSET examination. This document must be presented at the time of registration.
- Identification: Examinees MUST show valid driver's license, valid passports, military IDs, or other forms of government-issued (national or foreign) identification that show name, address, date of birth, signature, and photograph are all acceptable forms of identification for this purpose. If the form of identification used does not establish Indiana residency, then a second form of identity establishing Indiana residency for a minimum of thirty (30) days must be shown. This second form may be a utility bill, rental agreement, or other similar form.
- Registration: Examinees MUST pre-register, pay their fee, and make an appointment to test, IN PERSON! Identification will be checked at registration on test day. no walk-ins will be tested. You should register at least one week in advance. Pre-registration generally takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Test Fee : $100.00, payable upon pre-registration at the VU Bursars office. Payment may be made by cash, check, debit, or credit card, or present Agency voucher. Retests are $20.00 each subtest.
- Time: The HiSET is administered on Wednesday and Thursday mornings. You will take half the test on Wednesday, and then finish the second half on Thursday. Examinees must call the Center if they are unable to meet a scheduled appointment so rescheduling can be arranged within this time limit. If the examinee does not advise the Center of the need to miss a scheduled appointment, their tests will be returned to our file to be made available to other examinees.
- On Test Days: You may not bring any study materials, cell phones, pagers, notes, books, backpacks, or aids of any kind into the testing room unless authorized for use during the test.
Day 1 - Test starts at 9:00 a.m.
- Writing Skills with Essay - 120 minutes
- Mathematics - 90 minutes
Day 2 - Test starts at 9:00 a.m.
- Science - 80 minutes
- Social Studies - 70 minutes
- Reading - 65 minutes
Examinees will be started as a group. Make your time arrangements accordingly. Please note our office telephones are not available during or after testing.
Each of the five subtests in the HiSET exam is scored on a scale of 1–20. In order to pass you must do all four of the following:
- Achieve a score of at least 8 on each of the five individual subtests
- Score at least 2 out of 6 on the essay portion of the writing test
- Have a total combined score on all five subtests of at least 45
Retesting may only begin after completion of the official exam. No more than three test sessions may occur within a calendar year. An applicant need only retake those subtests which need to be passed. You must wait 30 days to retest on any subtest.
How to Obtain your Indiana HiSET (G.E.D.) score transcripts:
When you complete a computer-delivered, multiple-choice HiSET® exam, you'll get an unofficial score at the test center. You won't get an unofficial score for the Writing subtest.
Your official scores take a little longer. After ETS receives your unofficial scores (for computer-delivered tests) from the test center, we perform a quality check to ensure everything was scored properly. After this process is complete, your official scores are posted to your HiSET online account. On average, official scores are posted within: three business days (multiple-choice) and five business days (Writing subtest)
Log onto DIPLOMASENDER.COM to request your Official Transcripts.
All public inquiry needs to be directed either to Diploma Sender or to the Department of Workforce Development's Adult Education hotline or website. The phone number is 1-866-220-6675. The website is http://www.in.gov/dwd/adulted.htm