Getting Started

Getting Started with Your Benefits

In order to receive your benefits, please contact our office. We will collect information based on your service so we can report your enrollment to the US Department of Veterans Affairs. You can call Veterans Support Services at (812) 888-5421 or email Kristen Phillips at Following the steps below will ensure that you get the maximum amount of aid for funding your education.


  1. Apply for admission to Vincennes University.
    You can apply online here. The online application can be used for all sites including the Aviation Technology Center in Indianapolis, Distance Education, the Indiana School for the Deaf, the Jasper Campus, and the Vincennes Campus.
    Military students interested in completing course work on military installations should contact their local representatives to apply and register for site based instruction. Find your MEP location.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, is a form that determines your eligibility for low- or no-interest student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level. Completing this form will ensure you receive the maximum financial aid, even if you plan on using veterans education benefits. To qualify for State of Indiana grants, residents of Indiana need to file the FAFSA annually no later than March 10 with edits made by May 15th. Visit the FAFSA Website to fill out and submit the application.
  3. Apply for Veterans Education Benefits
    In order to receive your VA Education benefits you will need to apply so that the VA can determine your eligibility. You can apply online at One this site you can apply for a new benefit or change your benefit from your previous institution to VU.

    If you are the child of an Indiana veteran with any level disability rating, you may be eligible for the Indiana Remission of Fees for the Child of a Disabled Veteran. The state also offers a fee remission for Indiana veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart. Applications for both of these programs are available on our webite here.

    After the application form is approved by the Indiana DVA, it should be forwarded to:
    Vincennes University
    Financial Aid Office
    1002 N 1st Street, WAB-1
    Vincennes, IN 47591
  4. Submit Military Transcripts or DD214
    Your military training may equate to academic credit at Vincennes University. Please have them sent to the Vincennes, Indiana location in order to speed up the evaluation process. If you have questions about your military transcript please contact Chris Skinner at In order to request a copy of you military transcript use one of the following links:
    Army, Navy, Marine Transcript (Joint Services Transcript)
    Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request Forms (CCAF)
  5. Apply for Campus Housing
    If you would like to live on campus, it’s best to apply for student housing with Housing and Residential Life as early as possible. For more information contact Housing and Residential Life at (812) 888-4225 or
  6. Attend Start VU
    By attending new student orientation, you can learn about student organizations and popular activities around campus. You will also have the opportunity to meet with your academic advisor who will help you plan your first semester and academic career. You can register for Start VU online. For more information contact the Admissions Office at (800) 742-9198 or
  7. Visit Veterans Support Services
    We love to meet Veteran students and dependents. Feel free to stop by Veterans Support Services, we are here to help! Or, feel free to contact Kristen Phillips at (812) 888-5421 or

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at